Designing a Hong Kong New Town – Isaac’s Imagined Reality

Aptly named the LightHaven, Isaac’s (Y07) new town model embodies a green and eco-friendly living space, with features designed to relieve pollution levels. The modelling project was built as part of Ms Surman’s lesson on Hong Kong New Towns, where students were tasked to become town planners and showcase their ideas with posters, presentations, infographics, or a document. Taking it upon himself to be different from his classmates, Isaac chose to design a model for this project.

How did he build such a well-designed model? Let Isaac tell you the steps to constructing a Hong Kong New Town.

1. Plan your design

Isaac: In the beginning, I had plans to make a poster or a to do a presentation. But after hearing that most people were choosing these two project mediums, I wanted to do something that no one else was doing, which was to build a model.

With only two weeks to complete the project, Isaac had to be efficient and creative.

Isaac: I first started by planning the town, and then made a 2D version of the design. I went on to look for ways to build it and the best option was to use recycled materials.

In my town, the hotel runs on solar and wind power. For housing, the buildings are meant to be both liveable and environmentally friendly. So, I decided to turn them into green houses, which has a lot of plants on it and each apartment was given a small balcony garden.

For public services, I have a fire station, a police station, a hospital, and a school. Other facilities include a cinema, shopping mall, sports centre, and park. To prevent pollution, I didn’t put in any cars and offered only public transport instead.

1. Source your building materials

Isaac: Mostly, I couldn’t find the correct materials for what I planned. So, I had to use my imagination and use recycled materials to form different types of buildings.

Staying true to his eco-friendly concept, Isaac used recycled waste such as cardboard boxes, kitchen sink strainer, and plastic bottles found in his home as building materials for his project.

Isaac: While I was looking for a way to create the park, I found the confetti grass and thought I could also use them to drape over the buildings to form an environmentally friendly feature.

1. Build your model and tackle the challenges

Isaac: What I enjoyed the most was putting together all these recycled materials and turning something that might not seem valuable to something useful.

The most difficult part is actually the scale and space of the project. At first, I planned for the surface area to be A3 but it was too small. Then, I found a piece of approximately A2 paper in the stationary shop so I tried to use that instead. Even then, it was still a bit compact, so I had to place the cinema on top of the shopping mall.

I got help from my parents because I knew I couldn’t finish it by myself within two weeks. After I did the planning and the design, I asked my mom to help glue the structures together with me.

1. Explain your concept

Isaac: There is a high level of pollution nowadays, and we are probably not going to have enough oxygen in the next century. Hence, we need a few green towns like LightHaven to help slow down this process and help put some oxygen back in the atmosphere.

The planning and development of new towns are often complex and challenging, with many aspects that need to be considered and accommodated. Consciously aiming to protect the earth, Isaac shaped his ideas into a very possible reality, building a model that reflects an exciting future for the next generation.

German Swiss International School 德瑞國際學校