EPD Update

The below items are excerpts from Ms Stekelenburg's current LEO Newsroom update. For the full version of what is happening in the English Primary Department, you can access the login page by following this link: https://hk.fronter.com/gsis/  Class teachers will be updating their Year level / class LEO page each Friday and the Sports update is also posted for you to view.

Dear EPD Parents,

Over the past month we have seen a number of important celebrations and learning opportunities in the EPD. As many of you would be aware through your KPR, I had a skiing accident in Austria during the Chinese New Year break and have been absent from school for the last 4 weeks. I am now recovering from knee surgery in a plaster cast for another 3 weeks. Fingers crossed I will be running and getting back to yoga very soon.

In my absence, I would like to thank Mrs Gallagher for taking on the added load of Acting Primary. She did a marvellous job of ensuring all students, staff and parent needs were well looked after during my time of absence and did this with the utmost amount of patience, calmness and professionalism. In addition, I would also like to thank Frau Goschin (Head of GPD) for her support towards myself and Mrs Gallagher.

Thank you to all GSIS EPD families for contributing generously to the recent Chinese New Year Laissee packet fundraiser. We are delighted to announce the result of our Chinese New Year Lai See collection raised HKD 12,987. All proceeds will go towards the Hong Kong Student Aid Society.

Many parents often ask us what gifts they can buy their child or friends for birthdays and other celebrations throughout the year. I personally have used www.kiva.org/start which is a Microcredit not for profit lending organisation. It helps students of all ages be aware that a little bit of support can go a long way especially to those who live in impoverished countries. This website also promotes alot of discussion between you and your child about different businesses that people are involved in around the world and the set up costs associated in setting up a business in other countries. It is a great way for us to create compassionate, global citizens.

The Kowloon Cricket Club Hockey Tournament took place on Sunday, 3 March 2013 where several bronze, a silver and gold medal were won. Both Mrs Gallagher and myself attended  the medal ceremony and were very impressed with GSIS's performance. We would also like to thank Ms Franks for her ongoing organisation and support with the development of the ECA sport programme and for giving our students so many opportunities to test out their skills on the field.

At the end of January, I had the great privilege of attending the 21st Century Digital Learning Conference in Hong Kong. Year Level Coordinators (Ms Thackery, Ms Carolyn Sachse-Hodder), Ms Erin Gillespie (ICT teacher), Mrs Anne Gallagher (Deputy Head) and also attended. The conference took place at Renaissance College, Hong Kong on a Friday and Saturday and included many thought provoking speakers who are experts in the field of technology in schools. I especially enjoyed Dr Larry Rosen's Keynote speech. Dr Larry Rosen is a Professor of Psychology at California State University, is a research psychologist with specialties in generational differences, parenting, child and adolescent development, business psychology, and is recognized as an international expert in the “Psychology of Technology.” Over the past 25-plus years, Dr Rosen and his colleagues have examined reactions to technology among over 30,000 people in the United States and in 22 other countries. He has written several books himself which I recommend parents read.

Allison Stekelenburg
Head of English Primary Department

Home
Contact Us

German Swiss International School 德瑞國際學校