- The initial inquiry to the school concerning admissions information should be directed to:
Admissions Department Mailing Address:
30 Oi Kwan Road
Wan Chai, Hong Kong
The information package contains:
- School brochure
- Admissions procedure
- Application form
- School fees and debenture information
- Curriculum folder
- School term and holiday schedule
- Bus schedule
The completed and signed application form should be returned to the appropriate Admissions Officer enclosing a copy of the latest school report, the e-mail confirmation of the online payment for the application fee and a passport copy.
- Interested parents and their children will have the opportunity of a guided tour of the school premises to get an impression of GSIS (German Swiss International School). Please call the Admissions Officer in charge to arrange for an appointment at least two weeks in advance, if possible.
- The school will acknowledge receipt of the application and, subject to all details being completed, will place the student on the waiting list / database. Arrangements will be made for an entrance test or to offer a place as appropriate.
A general condition for enrolment is the ability to follow classes in either German or English. The following deadlines apply:
- English Kindergarten: Children must have turned three years of age by 1st September of the year of entry
- German Kindergarten: Children must have turned three years of age by 1st September of the year of entry
- English Primary School: Children must have turned five years of age by 1st September of the year of entry
- German Pre-School: Children must have turned five years of age by 1st September of the year of entry
If places are available in the German Kindergarten children aged 2 years 8 months can be enrolled. Children have to be toilet-trained.
Providing places are available in the English Stream and following a successful entrance assessment, the school’s current admissions policy for either the German or the English Stream gives priority to applicants as follows:
- German, Swiss or Austrian nationals
- Siblings currently attending GSIS
- Parent is a teacher at GSIS
- Former GSIS Student
- Existing, vacant debenture-holders
- The date of receipt of a complete application
The school, however, reserves the right to decide whether or not a child is mature enough to join the school.
Please note that in the English Stream, Kindergarten and Primary, the priority system may also be applied when inviting applicants for an entrance assessment.
Attention is drawn to the required debenture information in the application. Incomplete debenture details of a vacant debenture or lack of confirmation from the registered corporate debenture holder will place the application in priority ‘6’.
Starting with assessments for entry into the school year 2014/15 for English Kindergarten and Primary, applicants will be entitled to three assessments, thereafter a fourth assessment will only be offered if students lower on our waiting list have had a chance to be assessed. At this stage, all previous assessments will be taken into account, i.e. only students who have had less than three attempts will qualify for an invitation to an assessment.
Candidates for the English Kindergarten and Y01 will be assessed individually, but within a group of up to eight children. The assessment schedule begins in January for entry in August of the same year.
English Primary Y02 to Y06 applicants will be invited to attend a test between February to May. The interview for candidates for Y02 onwards will consist of a written test for English and Mathematics and verbal English.
Potential candidates of the English Secondary Department for the following school year will be invited for an entrance test and/or interview in January and February of the same year.
Please note that all assessed papers are kept confidential. They remain the property of GSIS and will not be released to any party. No examples of the test papers are available prior to the examination.
When a vacancy arises during the year, the next applicant in line will be contacted to determine if continued interest in a place still exists. If so, a new entrance test and/or interview may be arranged before the place is confirmed.
Once a place has been offered and accepted in either, the German and English Stream, a deposit for school fees is due immediately. Additionally, the allocation or purchase of a debenture must be finalized prior to starting at school. The deadline to purchase a debenture for students starting at the beginning of a new school year is 1 June. If an offer is made after 1 June the purchase of a debenture is due immediately.
The Principal of GSIS has the final approval of any admission.
Note: Provided certain criteria are met changing streams is possible at GSIS. Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.
- In accordance with regulations of the Education Department and Immigration Department all students joining GSIS must be in possession of a valid Hong Kong ID card allowing unconditional stay or must have a valid passport with authorized residency status to be eligible for a place at GSIS. A visitor visa does not entitle the holder to attend any school in Hong Kong.
- Please note that it is mandatory for all students at the Pok Fu Lam Campus to use the school bus.